Thursday, January 9, 2014

Did you Hear? Just Freeze It! (updated 01/13/2014)

Did you hear? You Can FREEZE Eggs!

And with that I will add, there are actually A LOT of things you can freeze! I freeze
fresh baby spinach and kale in freezer bags (by 2 ounces and 4 ounces in weight, which is equivalent to 1 packed-cup and 2 packed cups); I freeze ripe avocados that I wont be using right away (or when they're on sale 2 for a $1.00 and I stock up on extras) - just cut them in half, remove the pit, I stick them back together and put 2 avocados per freezer bag. OH and don't forget fresh fruits! I love to freeze blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries!!! Just wash them first (for the strawberries, I trim off the stem and cut them in half or quarters when they are really big) and put them in freezer bags.

Update Note: When I freeze fresh baby spinach, it is mostly for my Green Monster Smoothies at lunch. I also use it for putting in casseroles or cooking in a little butter as a side dish or mixed in with my eggs - I do not think frozen baby spinach would thaw well for a salad. I use the thawed avocados for some Green Monster Smoothies, guacamole, my Chocolate Avocado Mouse, or any other baking/cooking recipes - when I freeze them they are VERY ripe, so when thawed they could be 'squishy' if they sit too long and not firm for chopping - this might be different if I thawed them earlier. Fruits turn out amazing after thawed. I had a few questions on these items, so here's the update! =)

TIP: When freezing fresh items in freezer bags - get as much air out as you can!! I shut the majority of the zip on the freezer bag, slip a straw in the small opening, squeeze as much air out as possible, and then literally suck out the remaining air and zip close as quickly as possible. Helps keep down freezer burn!! If I know the item will sit in the freezer for more than a week, then I'll double bag them just to be safe! And yes, I wash and reuse!! =)

Ok, back to the eggs. I was reading another blog and low-an-behold look at what I found! 

"Can you freeze eggs? YES YOU CAN! And they taste darn near the same after they thaw too! Fry them, bake them, or add them to a casserole or recipe! 

Crack the egg(s) into a muffin tin, plastic egg crate, or ice cube tray. If you have recipes where the yolks and whites are needed separately, simply separate them before freezing. There is no need for any oil or spray of any kind, just crack the egg right into the container. 

Place the tray into the freezer and freeze until the eggs are frozen solid. 

Once they are frozen you can remove them from the container. If they are stuck too tight in the container, simply place the container in some warm water for a minute and they will pop right out. Then add them into a freezer safe bag and they will keep for up to one year!! If you have separated the yolks and whites, be sure to place them in separate freezer bags also.

When you are ready to use them, take out the number of eggs needed and allow them to thaw at room temperature. 

(for a detailed explanation with pictures, feel free to click this link: Happy Money Saver)

Happy Freezing!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment